lunes, 23 de junio de 2014

A graphic novel worth reading

Probably a lot of you have heard about Watchmen, maybe because it is also a movie and it is about superheroes, others may not have idea that it is one of the most important graphic novels ever written (and I mean before the teacher said that). Personally I love it and it is funny because even though I knew it was a graphic novel I saw the movie first.



Watchmen is written and created by Alan Moore and drown by Dave Gibbons. It tells the story of a group of retired superheroes during nuclear conflicts between US and The Soviet Union. But it is not only just a simple story of superheroes; Watchmen shows how dark and mature a superhero's story can be, it also represents problems of power and the fear of self destruction.The characters are well presented and well explained at the point in which you could understand their most hidden behaviors. There is a before and after in how superheroes started to be seen thanks to this novel, politically correct and bright superheroes started to decline and more realistic heroes with traumas and a lack of ethic became popular.



On 2009 Zack Snyder directed an adaptation of this graphic novel on the big screen, personally, I like how it was carefully filmed to make honor to the novel, but for some people this may be a problem, and the same Alan Moore explained why he dislike the movie adaptations of all his creations, why create a movie if the comic is already perfect and if it was not made to be a movie? As I mentioned before, I watched the movie before I read the novel and it was very interesting for me because I actually liked it, and when I read it I could recognize the other way around all the details that I had seen in the movie but multiplied by one hundred. So if you have the opportunity to read Watchmen and then watch the director's cut version of it, I think you will find a pleasant surprise and you will finally discover "who watches the watchmen".




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario