domingo, 22 de junio de 2014

"Ghost World"

While reading "Ghost World" I noticed that in some of the frames there was the phrase "Ghost World" in the walls. This phrase represents the ephemeral nature of life, because everything has a start and a finish  point. 
In the novel Enid and Rebecca are stuck in the past, always reviving old memories. They are also afraid of changes because, as I understood, they feel insecure and scared about the things that they will have to face in the future, about the idea of becoming independent and the fact that they cannot be together forever turning just into ghosts, aparitions. 
What I learnt from the novel is that we are in this world to make changes and to grow, eventhough after this we dissapear. The idea is to find new ways an adapt to reality in order to leave one's mark.


I know that this image is not from the novel...but I like Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson's personification better.


6 comentarios:

  1. nice reflection! to be honest, I didn't have that impression about Ghost World, but now that I think about it, it actually makes sense, considering that reflecting on the meaning of established things was somehow the cornerstone of postmodernism.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks Jose....and not only for your comment, but also for your post. It helped me to create my entry because it made me reflect about the purpose of life and then (I don't know how ) apply it to Ghost World.

      Eliminar
    2. you're welcome, I just hope it didn't provoked you an existential crisis. The main idea was to encourage people to enjoy their short lives

      Eliminar
  2. When I think about what you said above, the words that come to my mind are Carpe Diem. We are in this world to make a difference and to leave a mark in the people around us, in our family, our friends and even in the world. Maybe we are not doing the most important thing in the world, but if we just give a hand to someone in need, we all going to make the difference and be remembered by the good things we did, or maybe the bad things.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. As José said, this might be interpreted in many ways. From my point of view, the girls were afraid of changes, because they didn't find something positive in changing at the beginning and also because they were comfortable in their positions of having little responsibilities and not making difficult decisions. However, there might be a positive aspect in not changing who we are, if we really like our profession, our friends, and our lifestyle.

    In the case of these girls, they had uncertainty about their futures; therefore, it might have also been a reason to be afraid of change in that context.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I agree with what you said, and that is one of the things that I like about this comic, apart from its aesthetic, one of the messages that I got from it that has to do with time to do things that are important for us in order, as you wrote, to leave a mark and not be afraid of it.

    ResponderEliminar